Jersey City Weekend Forecast: Yoga, Dancing in the Streets, Ice Cream Socials and Markets
Though there are always one million and one super-fun things to do in Jersey City, this weekend is extra special. There's a ton going on that you won't want to miss, so be sure to check out the following fun on Saturday and Sunday!
- First thing on Saturday morning (if you consider 9 AM first thing in the morning) is the next edition of Free Waterfront Yoga with Michelle Timek at Exchange Place. Drop your mat (bring your own!) facing lower Manhattan and let the waves of the Hudson provide the backdrop to your namaste (the water is actually right beneath you!). If you have yet to check this fun free event out, read my post from last month and see if I can't convince you. Michelle hosts Free Waterfront Yoga the second Saturday of the month throughout the summer. Learn more here.
- Hustle straight from the waterfront over to Van Vorst Park for its Saturday morning Farmers' Market, open until 2 PM. Pick up your fruits, veggies and treats for the weekend, plus a yummy cup of mod cup coffee as a reward for yoga well done. Learn more about this Farmers' Market, and all of Jersey City's markets here.
- Now pop back home, take a shower and then get ready for Beats, Eats, Antiques and Dancing in the Streets with the Pacific Flea. It's a special daytime dance party edition this month with music spun by DJ Obviously Avi from 11 AM-6 PM. There will be free beers for as long as they last, or you can BYOB! So bustle over to SoCo ("South of Communipaw," a term coined by Pacific Flea founder Stu Metrick) and explore one of the monthly highlights of Jersey City's Bergen-Lafayette neighborhood. Never been? Check out my recap here or visit their website to learn more.
- Start things off bright and early at the markets, first in Lincoln Park at 9 AM and then in the Heights with the Riverview Park Farmers' Market beginning at 10 AM. Stock up on your fruits, veggies and treats for the week, and if you didn't get enough yoga on Saturday morning, the Riverview Farmers' Market features Free Yoga in Park brought to you by Yoga in the Heights at 11 AM ($10 donations are accepted, as well). So bring your mat and sun-salute Manhattan once again, but from a different elevation and view this time.
- Then head back downtown for the first of the July 6th Borough Market editions. Held on the second and fourth Sunday of each month (weather permitting) behind City Hall from 11 AM- 5 PM, with everything from food to vintage clothing to homemade body products to jewelry, crafts and more, the 6th Borough Market has it all. Its vendors also change each month, which keeps things interesting and fun. You truly never know what 6th Borough gems you will find! Learn more here.
- Once the shopping is out of your system, with your new treasures in hand, walk up to Hamilton Park to the ice cream shoppe known as Milk Sugar Love, where Emma and crew are celebrating their first anniversary with Jersey City's biggest ice cream social! There will be free ice cream sandwiches, puppy fro-yo, prizes and games from noon to 6 PM. They had me at free ice cream sandwiches, though I'll be tempted to try this month's Broa Summer of Sundaes edition, as well. Decisions, decisions...
Of course there are endless restaurants to try, and the St. Anthony's Church Festival will be held all weekend as well, on Sixth Street between Monmouth and Brunswick Streets, with an array of vendors to dazzle you.
What am I missing? What are your Jersey City-lovin' plans for this weekend?